Wednesday, May 24, 2017

5/15/17 | Happy Mothers Day

This week has been great!  Yesterday was one of the major
highlights when I got to call you guys!  It was so fun to see you
again, and to talk with you!  I am so thankful for my family!  Mom, I
can't even express how thankful I am for you.  You have made me the
person I am today, and I'm so grateful for that!  I definitely
wouldn't be where I am today without you and Dad.  I love you so
much!!  Thanks for being the most amazing family ever!  I couldn't
have asked for a better one.  I'm so glad we were able to catch up and
talk, it made my day!  I hope all you Mothers out there had a
wonderful Mother's Day!

   Our week was filled with a lot of service opportunities.  On
Tuesday we helped out at an old folks home with their lunch.  I was
honestly the topic of the whole year!  All of the old people had so
many questions for me, how tall I was, if I played basketball, how old
I was, what I was doing in Wyoming, etc.  It was honestly hilarious!
The nurses there said they haven't had such a lively lunch before in
awhile, and they said it was because of me.  I'm glad I could help out
where I could.  I made a lot of friends as well, it was awesome!
After this, they had Bingo so we helped call out the different games,
it was so fun!  I love interacting with the community!  Another
service opportunity we had was with Brother Evelo.  He fed us dinner
one night, and lunch the next day, but it was because we helped him
put in his whole irrigation system!  I never knew how hard and tiring
that could have been, but it was!  I have some new found respect for
people who do that for a living.  Since I hadn't really don't any yard
work for awhile, my hands got really soft, so I got a few
blisters...... but they're healing up well now though!  Our last
service opportunity was with a member who lives way out in the
boonies.  They were feeding us Saturday night, so we went early to
help him set up a sheep pen.  We had to move honestly the heaviest
fencing I've ever carried in my entire life across his property to
make the pen.  I have no idea what these fence panels were made out
of, maybe iron or steel, but they were solid.  That made Elder
Callahan and I exhausted, but we were happy to help.  Let me tell you,
I got some good nights sleep from all of this service!  It was
awesome!

   We had a great experience with one of our investigators named
Susan.  We stopped by on Monday night, and she invited us back on
Friday for dinner!  Her husband is an active member, and she has shown
interest in learning more for herself.  It was an amazing dinner, and
we had a wonderful lesson afterwards.  We shared a video called
Patterns of Light: Spirit of Revelation.  In this video, Elder Bednar
explains three different ways people receive answers to their prayers
through personal revelation.  After the video we explained how
important it is for us to understand how Heavenly Father answers our
prayers.  Once we understand those different ways, we can recognize
how many of our prayers are actually answered.  Susan has been reading
and praying about the Book Of Mormon, but feels she hasn't received
her answer.  We helped her understand how those answers come, so she
will recognize for herself when those answers do come!  It ended up
being a really great spiritual lesson.  I can't wait to teach her
again and help her receive those answers she has been looking for!

   Earlier this week we went on exchanges with some elders, and I was
with Elder McCabe.  We had a great day, and we had dinner with a
wonderful family.  After dinner we shared with them the importance of
Member missionary work, and inviting their friends to learn more about
the Gospel.  The mom said "how are my kids supposed to do missionary
work, when there are no Stake Youth activities for them to invite
their friends to?"  This kind of shocked me a little, because I
thought every Stake had activities for the youth.  We got talking, and
it really sparked something inside of me.  I promised the family that
we would do our best to get these things on board with both stakes
here in Cheyenne.  Later in the week we met with the second counselor
in our mission presidency, President Davies.  We discussed how we
could best help missionary work progress here in Cheyenne, and we
brought up the youth activities.  He loved the idea, and was a little
shocked as well about them not having any.  We made a plan that we are
going to meet with both Stake presidencies and present this plan with
them.  If the youth are inviting their friend to activities, their is
so much more work that will come from it!  I can't wait to further
this in Cheyenne so that missionary work will progress!  I will
definitely keep you updated on how this goes in the upcoming weeks.

    In the middle of the week, one of the young men in the Monterey
Heights Ward started to text us.  He told us he was having a problem
at school with a Catholic friend.  He said they had gotten in a
discussion, and that he was trying to explain Gospel concepts to his
friend, but his friend kept on fighting with him about it, and was
saying a lot of anti-Mormon stuff, and really wouldn't listen to him.
He asked us how he could convince his friend that what he was telling
him was true.  We texted him back and told him that we can't really
convince others that our church is true if they don't want to learn
for themselves.  We said, "The best thing that you should do in this
situation, is to testify of what you know to be true, and to invite
him to read and pray about the Book Of Mormon."  Honestly, the Book Of
Mormon is the key.  If the Book Of Mormon is true, then that means
Joseph Smith was a true prophet, that he did in fact see God the
Father and His son Jesus Christ, that the Word of Wisdom and other
modern day revelation through prophets is true, that the Church of
Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints has the restored Priesthood
authority given from Jesus Christ Himself while He was on the Earth,
and that we have a prophet here on the earth today named President
Thomas S. Monson.  Everything we believe relies on the truthfulness of
the Book Of Mormon.  This is the way everyone can come to know if this
church is true or not, if they sincerely read the Book Of Mormon and
pray with real intent to know if it's true.  Later that night, we
dropped off a Book Of Mormon at the young mans house, because he wants
to invite his friend to read it.  This was an amazing experience!  I
know that if that friend of his reads and prays, he will receive his
answer through the power of the Holy Ghost.  I know that each of you,
if you want to strengthen your testimony, if your struggling with your
testimony or if you don't know if the Book Of Mormon is true, that you
can come to know of its truthfulness if you give it a shot, read it,
and pray about it with real intent.  If you do this, I promise that
you will receive an answer!

   Mother's Day on Sunday was of course amazing!  It was weird to be
away from you Mom on Mother's Day for the first time, but I know that
this is where I am supposed to be!  We had wonderful Sacrament
meetings in both of our wards, and it was fun to see all the families
celebrate their mothers.  After church we went Tracting with no
success, which is okay!  We then had to pick up some YSA rosters for
each Ward from a guy in our ward, because Cheyenne is trying to make a
Young Single Adult Ward, so we are going to spend a lot of time
finding and looking to see if we have enough members to make that
ward.  We had an awesome dinner with the Smiths, who had literally
their whole extended family over for Mother's Day.  After dinner it
was so fun to call home.  Mother's Day is literally Christmas in May,
I love it!  I honestly love you guys so much, and I'm grateful to call
you my family.  I am so grateful for all that you have done for me
Mom!  I will never be able to repay that.  I want to wish again all
the mother's out there, young and old, a Happy Mother's Day!  You guys
have a special place in my heart, and I'm grateful for each of you.  I
hope you all have an amazing week this week, and remember that
Heavenly Father knows each of you by name, and loves you more than you
could ever know!


Love,
Elder Bailey


1. Found my home street!
2. The flatness of Wyoming.
3. Found this poor cat while Tracting....







No comments:

Post a Comment