Tuesday, August 22, 2017

8/21/17 | Solar Eclipse Today!

 This past week was a pretty good one, other than Elder Tippetts
and I got sick from some other missionaries, but it's all good!  We're
feeling a little better today, but still pretty tired.  Today is the
great solar eclipse, and Wyoming is honestly going crazy!  Some
members told us that the population of Wyoming is supposed to double
for the day, so it is going to be crazy!  Here in Cheyenne it won't be
the full eclipse, but it will be super close so we will get to see it
around 12:00 this afternoon.  Don't worry mom, I got some certified
glasses so I won't burn my eyes out! :)
       We have had three lessons with Janet this week, and she is
doing a little better!  We tried inviting her to church, but she still
says she isn't ready to come to an organized church yet.  We realized
that all we need to focus on is continually inviting her to read from
The Book Of Mormon, because we know that as she reads and gains a
testimony of The Book Of Mormon, the rest will come!  Our last lesson
we had was on Friday, and we brought a recent convert named Jan Ross
to the lesson.  Jan brings us to lunch every week, and is absolutely
amazing!  Her testimony and her story is incredible, and it was so
amazing to have her there for Janet's lesson. Jan told her story,
testified of the truthfulness of The Book Of Mormon, and invited Janet
to attend church with her.  Janet still expressed discomfort of coming
to church, so Jan handled it like a champ and invited Janet to read
from The Book Of Mormon.  We all testified that if she did so, her
troubles would be eased, and she would have a greater desire to attend
church.  Janet said she would diligently find time to read, so we are
praying she will do so!  She said it is really hard to "find the time"
to read from The Book Of Mormon, which is absolutely true!  Of course
it is hard to find the time to do what Heavenly Father wants us to do!
 Satan is trying his hardest, and doing all he can to make us feel
like we don't have time to do the most essential things of the Gospel.
If we are looking for a time to read our scriptures we aren't doing it
the best way!  As we have time set apart to read from The Book Of
Mormon, and plan everything around that, there will always be time for
scripture study!  As we make the Gospel of Jesus Christ our focus, we
will see Heavenly Fathers blessings be poured upon us!  He wants us to
be happy, all we need to do is obey what He has asked us to do.  The
commandments shouldn't be seen as restrictions, they are honestly the
means by which we can have happiness in our everyday lives!  You can
just see a difference in those who keep the commandments and those who
do not.  We come across them whenever we go Tracting!  It is so sad to
see people who are so angry with everything and then they reject us,
when we know that they could find so much happiness with the Gospel of
Jesus Christ in their lives.  I know that as you all strive to keep
the commandments which God has given us, you will be happier in your
everyday life.
       We had our Zone Conference this week, which was great!  The
main focus was having the Faith to find, setting good goals, and being
exactly Obedient.  President McMurray is always so inspiring, and I
feel so uplifted whenever we receive guidance from him.  I know he is
an inspired man!  I know as Elder Tippetts and I set good goals and
put our faith in the Lord to find people, we will find more people to
teach!  President McMurray promised us that as we set goals, and
remained diligent in all our missionary work, we will find people to
teach.  I know that promise is from our Heavenly Father, and He will
send us people who are ready to hear the Gospel of Jesus Christ!  It
will be so awesome to see the fruits from our labors as we do what
President has asked us to do.

       I was studying this past week in Ether 2:22-25. This is when
the Brother of Jared is asking Heavenly Father how they will have
light in their barges as they cross the ocean.  It says,

22 And he cried again unto the Lord saying: O Lord, behold I have done
even as thou hast commanded me; and I have prepared the vessels for my
people, and behold there is no light in them. Behold, O Lord, wilt
thou suffer that we shall cross this great water in darkness?
23 And the Lord said unto the brother of Jared: What will ye that I
should do that ye may have light in your vessels? For behold, ye
cannot have windows, for they will be dashed in pieces; neither shall
ye take fire with you, for ye shall not go by the light of fire.
24 For behold, ye shall be as a whale in the midst of the sea; for the
mountain waves shall dash upon you. Nevertheless, I will bring you up
again out of the depths of the sea; for the winds have gone forth out
of my mouth, and also the rains and the floods have I sent forth.
25 And behold, I prepare you against these things; for ye cannot cross
this great deep save I prepare you against the waves of the sea, and
the winds which have gone forth, and the floods which shall come.
Therefore what will ye that I should prepare for you that ye may have
light when ye are swallowed up in the depths of the sea?

       I love these scriptures!  Heavenly Father tells the Brother of
Jared that He will prepare a way for them to cross the ocean safely,
then He asks "Therefore what will ye that I should prepare for you
that he may have light...?"  I asked myself a similar question after I
read this, what ways has Heavenly Father provided for me to have light
in my life?  His son, Jesus Christ is the ultimate source of light in
our lives through His everlasting Atonement, but he has prepared many
things to feel that light in our lives.  The words of Modern Day
prophets and apostles, The Book Of Mormon, prayer, this Restored
Gospel, Families, etc.  There are many ways we can receive that light
into our lives, and I'd like to invite you to think of the ways in
which you have received that light in your life.  If you feel you need
that light or more happiness in your life, I can promise you can
receive that light through the ways I've mentioned above.  I invite
each of you to vitalize the ways Heavenly Father has provided for us
to receive that light, I know that if you do so, you will be so much
happier and life will go so much better!  With our Heavenly Fathers
help, through His son Jesus Christ, we can receive the greatest amount
of light possible.

       Remember, the pure source of light is from our Savior, Jesus
Christ.  His light is represented in His restored Gospel here on the
earth through the prophet Jospeh Smith.  I love that man!  He
sacrificed his whole life to the service of his Heavenly Father, and I
will forever be in debt to his faithful service to Jesus Christ's
church.  Today President Monson celebrates his 90th birthday.  I
sustain him as the prophet, seer, and revelator on the earth today to
guide not only the church, but the whole world in these troubling
times.  He may be weak and frail in his mortal body from old age, but
his Spirit is still as strong as ever!  I thank Heavenly Father for
giving us a prophet here on the earth today, without revelation and
guidance through him, we would be lost!  I hope we never take this
Gospel for granted.  I love this Gospel, I love sharing it with
everyone I can, and I'm grateful for all of you.  Heavenly Father
loves you, and wants us all to be happy.  I hope you all have a
fantastic week!

Love
Elder Bailey




Pic:
Dropped off Elder Nibley at the mission home last week! Got to see Elder Gentry!

No comments:

Post a Comment