Monday, August 29, 2016

8/29/16 | What a week!

This first week in the field has been so crazy!  So many
things have happened! First off, we left the MTC at about 4:30 in the
morning, that feeling was incredible! Only being in the MTC for three
weeks was definitely long enough! I loved the MTC, I loved the spirit
there, being surrounded by so many people with the same mindset,
learning how to teach more effectively, and making so many new
friends. Overall it was awesome!
       Anyways, we left the MTC early that morning, I was the travel
leader for our group so I had all the boarding passes and trax tickets
with me.  A bus drove us over to the front runner station in Provo and
sent us on our way.  It was nice to see the Timp temple and our
beautiful mountains one last time before I left.  I couldn't stop
thinking about all of you guys, all the memories that I made, I can't
wait for more to come! So we made it up to the SLC Airport.  I handed
out all the boarding passes and we got through security.  I also saw
Carson McCracken saying bye to his family!  He was happy to see me.
We all split up to find pay phones.  It was so nice to call home!
Talking with you guys made my day!  So glad we could catch up, I love
you :)
       So at the gate I saw Derek Butters chilling in a chair! So we
talked for awhile, took some pics, and sat pretty close together in
first class!  It was nice to see him! Us missionaries in first class
were treated like kings! There were three of us in first class, Elder
Campbell, Sister Bertha, and I.  It was so nice actually having leg
room!
        It was nice to finally meet President and Sister McMurray!
They are the nicest people, and are really down to earth!  I talked to
them a lot while we waited for the other missionaries to come in.  So
we got to the mission office around 2:00 and they fed us lunch.  We
went through all that orientation and introductions.  Then we were
assigned our areas and trainers!  Well, first they said that the
missionaries going to Wyoming had to leave early so they announced
them first.  I was assigned to the Riverton, Wyoming area, with Elder
Ma'ake as my trainer! The highest I can get in my mission! Elder Judd
got assigned to Casper, Wyoming so we got to ride for the five and a
half hour drive up there.  We had a lot of time to talk on our way up
there.  So we stayed the night in Casper, I ended up having to sleep
on the floor, seriously the hardest floor I have ever slept on....
Elder Ma'ake and I woke up very sore.
    So let me tell you about my companion.  He is the shortest Elder
in the mission, and I am the tallest!  So we stand out a bit.  So far
we have gotten along very well!  He has been an awesome trainer!  He
can't drive though, he lost his driving privileges cause he went over
90 miles an hour.... So I drive us everywhere in our Nissan truck.  As
for Riverton Wyoming, it is kind of flat..... But I guess a little
pretty! My area covers the Sunset Park Ward, Pavillion Branch, and the
Dubois Branch.  I haven't been to Dubois yet, it's an hour and a half
northwest.  So that is the highest you can get in our mission.  We
taught a lot of lessons this week, especially my first day!  My first
full day, we taught eight lessons and I placed two Books of Mormon! It
was a really cool experience teaching real people, instead of role
plays.
       I had the coolest experience while we were tracting for the
first time that day! So we prayed and chose a street to knock.  After
we placed the first Book of Mormon we knocked the rest of the street
with no luck, we were headed back the way to the car, knocking the
other side of the street, when we saw a man pull up in his driveway.
I knew immediately that we needed to talk to him.  So I told Elder
Ma'ake that so we headed his way, but as soon as Elder Ma'ake saw that
he was a cop, he said "no way we're talking to that guy!  So I
listened and we just said hi, and knocked the next house. No one
answered, and as soon as we closed the gate I told him that we needed
to talk to that cop.  So we headed back and knocked on his door.  He
is so Golden!  He answered and I introduced ourselves, we found out
his name is Randy, we shared a message on the first vision.  We asked
him if he thought it was crazy that Joseph Smith saw Heavenly Father
and Jesus Christ, but he answered "not at all! If you have enough
faith of course it could happen!"  So I invited him to read the Book
of Mormon introduction and he said yes.  We set up a following
appointment.  I can't wait to teach Randy!  I would say my first day
was a huge success!
       Well, who knew that I would already be bible bashed! Yes a
"born again" man told us his story, said he hated people who bashed on
other religions, and then told us our whole church was false.  Proving
it with his bible.  Kind of hypocritical I guess.... So we listened,
tried to get out a few times, but didn't bash back.  The craziest
thing of it all was when he pointed at me and said "Elder Bailey, I
can tell that you're a sinner, and that if you don't repent and be
born again, you're going to Hell."  Hahahahaha, I almost started
laughing! So that was interesting.
      The rest of the week we had other great lessons, and we got fed
by member every single dinner! I guess the members in Riverton love
the missionaries! We also had a baptism this Saturday in the Pavillion
Branch.  I'm not counting that for me cause I had never taught him,
but his name is Joe Lanham.  It was really cool to see his baptism and
confirmation the following Sunday.  It helped me reflect on my
baptism!
      Last thing, so our apartment is kind of crappy, we live in the
basement of a old house.  The ceilings in most of it are only 6' 5'',
so I have to duck most of the time.  The bed is really comfy, but it's
too short.  And the bathroom is pink..... Haha overall it's nice
though.
       I was reading in 1 Nephi 9 the other day, and it really helped
me know why it is so important to be strictly obedient.  It is a
really short chapter, so I want you all to read it! Ponder it and how
you can apply it in your lives! I know if you do it will strengthen
your testimony!
    Sorry this is kind of long! There was just so much to tell you
guys.  Hope you all have a fantastic week. (Some guy showed us all of
his guns so we took pics with them!) Love you guys!

Love,
-Elder Bailey




No comments:

Post a Comment